From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@vafer.org>
Subject Re: Continuously increasing RAM usage
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:09:20 GMT
We've also seen something like this. Will soon investigate and try
again with 0.6.2

On Wed, Jun 2, 2010 at 20:27, Paul Brown <paulrbrown@gmail.com> wrote:

> FWIW, I'm seeing similar issues on a cluster.  Three nodes, Cassandra 0.6.1, SUN JDK
1.6.0_b20.  I will try to get some heap dumps to see what's building up.

> I've seen this sort of issue in systems that make heavy use of java.util.concurrent queues/executors,
e.g.:

> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6236036
>
> That bug is long fixed, but it is an instance of how it can be harder to do nothing than
something.

> -- Paul
>

> On May 26, 2010, at 11:32 PM, James Golick wrote:
>
>> We're seeing RAM usage continually climb until eventually, cassandra becomes unresponsive.
>>
>> The JVM isn't OOM'ing. It has only committed 14/24GB of memory. So, I am assuming
that the memory usage is related to mmap'd IO. Fair assumption?

>> I tried setting the IO mode to standard, but it seemed to be a little slower and
couldn't get the machine to come back online with adequate read performance, so I set it back.
I'll have to write a solid cache warming script if I'm going to try that again.

>> Any other ideas for what might be causing the issue? Is there something I should
monitor or look at next time it happens?