From Ben Browning <ben...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Seeds and AutoBoostrap
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 11:00:34 GMT
There really aren't "seed nodes" in a Cassandra cluster. When you
specify a seed in a node's configuration it's just a way to let it
know how to find the other nodes in the cluster. A node functions the
same whether it is another node's seed or not. In other words, all of
the nodes in a cluster are functionally identical - no masters, no
slaves, no seeds, etc.

So, when adding a new node to an existing cluster, you should AutoBootstrap it.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:57 AM, Per Olesen <pol@trifork.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just a quick question on seed nodes and auto bootstrap.
>
> Am I correct in that a seed node won't be able to AutoBootstrap? And if so, will a seed
node newly added to an existing cluster then not take long time before it actually starts
getting any work to it? I mean, if it doesn't start with moving some data to itself, it will
have to wait until new data comes in and is determined to live on that new node.