From Pawel Dabrowski <pa...@reviewpro.com>
Subject Re: scans stopped returning values for some keys
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 15:40:25 GMT
Hi,

thanks for your answer.
my comparators for this CF were:
CompareWith="LongType", CompareSubcolumnWith="UTF8Type" (which is not really correct, as I
use Longs for both, but I guess it should not cause such an error).

I didn't test for empty start, and I already refactored the code not to do any deletes, so
I can't reproduce the situation easily.

regards
Pawel

On 2010-06-10, at 23:26, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> How is your CF defined?  (what comparator?)
>
> did you try start=empty byte array instead of Long.MAX_VALUE?
>
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 8:06 AM, Pawel Dabrowski <pawel@reviewpro.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Cassandra to store some aggregated data in a structure like this:
>>
>> KEY - product_id
>> SUPER COLUMN NAME - timestamp
>> and in the super column, I have a few columns with actual data.
>>
>> I am using a scan operation to find the latest super column (start=Long.MAX_VALUE,
reversed=true, count=1) for a key, which worked fine for quite some time.
>> But recently I needed to remove some of the columns within the super columns.
>> After that things got weird: for some keys, the scan for latest super column work
normally, but for some of them they stopped returning any results. I checked the data using
the CLI and the data is obviously there. I can get it if I specify the super column name,
but scanning for latest does not work. If I scan for previous data (start=some other timestamp
less than maximum timestamp in cassandra), it works fine.
>> I compared the data for keys that work, and those that don't, but there is no difference
- the super column names are exactly the same and they contain the same amounts of columns.

>> But the really weird thing is that the scans did not stop working immediately after
some columns were removed. I was able to scan for the data and verify that the columns were
removed correctly and only after a couple of minutes some scans stopped returning data. When
I looked in the log, I've seen that Cassandra has been doing some compacting, flushing and
deleting of .db files more or less at the time that the scans stopped working.