From "Peter Minearo" <Peter.Mine...@Reardencommerce.com>
Subject RE: Cassandra and Thrift on the Server Side
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 20:48:36 GMT
You answered my questions on that.  Thanks!!

-----Original Message-----
From: prescod@gmail.com [mailto:prescod@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Paul Prescod
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:37 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Cassandra and Thrift on the Server Side

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Peter Minearo <Peter.Minearo@reardencommerce.com> wrote:
> First let me premise, I am new to Cassandra.  I just got it installed
> and was able to add data, connect to Cassandra via Thrift and retrieve
> the data.  Since, Thrift uses RPC, I was wondering if Cassandra uses
> Thrift on the server side to handle the requests from the clients?

Yes. Thrift is a protocol, so if the client speaks it, the server must do so also. Otherwise
how would they talk? Perhaps I don't understand your question.

> .... I know Thrift is
> used on the client side, but what about the server side?   If this is
> true; is there a reason for it?  Was a REST API with a JSON payload
> tried?  Are there any plans to create a REST API for Cassandra?

Here is some discussion about that:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201006.mbox/%3C1276895545.3832.78.camel@erebus.lan%3E

Follow the thread links to learn more about AVRO, which will replace Thrift in Cassandra.

 Paul Prescod