From "Anthony Ikeda" <Anthony.Ik...@cardlink.com.au>
Subject RE: Best documentation for Java and Cassandra?
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:12:44 GMT
Okay, so that is where frameworks such as Lucene come into play.

Right now we have set up Cassandra and are trying to come up with the best schema, per se,
that is going to be the most effective and I think I’ll need to start looking at something
like Lucene to ensure the model can be more viable.

Thanks,

Anthony

From: Ezra Epstein [mailto:ezra@ezraepstein.com]
Sent: Friday, 18 June 2010 12:52 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Best documentation for Java and Cassandra?

Hi Anthony,

As I understand it Cassandra, like most other "no SQL" alternative data stores does not support
arbitrary queries. Translation: you can't directly query by field (that is to say, column)
value. You are left with doing a "row scan" client side. Hence you need to know what queries
will be needed a priori. For the example you gave you'd want a "color" ColumnFamily where
the keys are the color values and the values are whatever you choose - propably keys to other
ColumnFamilies that hold the relevant record data.

HTH,

Ezra