From Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>
Subject Re: Changing replication factor from 2 to 3
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 21:12:31 GMT
On 6/2/10 12:49 PM, Eric Halpern wrote:

> We'd like to double our cluster size from 4 to 8 and increase our replication
> factor from 2 to 3.
>
> Is there any special procedure we need to follow to increase replication?
> Is it sufficient to just start the new nodes with the replication factor of
> 3 and then reconfigure the existing nodes to the replication factor one at a
> time?

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations
"
Replication factor is not really intended to be changed in a live
cluster either, but increasing it may be done if you (a) use
ConsistencyLevel.QUORUM or ALL (depending on your existing replication
factor) to make sure that a replica that actually has the data is
consulted, (b) are willing to accept downtime while anti-entropy repair
runs (see below), or (c) are willing to live with some clients
potentially being told no data exists if they read from the new replica
location(s) until repair is done.
"

Please feel free to update this wiki page if the above information is
incomplete in any way. :)

=Rob