From Paul Brown <paulrbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Continuously increasing RAM usage
Date Wed, 02 Jun 2010 18:27:37 GMT

FWIW, I'm seeing similar issues on a cluster.  Three nodes, Cassandra 0.6.1, SUN JDK 1.6.0_b20.
 I will try to get some heap dumps to see what's building up.

I've seen this sort of issue in systems that make heavy use of java.util.concurrent queues/executors,
e.g.:

That bug is long fixed, but it is an instance of how it can be harder to do nothing than something.

-- Paul

On May 26, 2010, at 11:32 PM, James Golick wrote:

> We're seeing RAM usage continually climb until eventually, cassandra becomes unresponsive.
>
> The JVM isn't OOM'ing. It has only committed 14/24GB of memory. So, I am assuming that
the memory usage is related to mmap'd IO. Fair assumption?

> I tried setting the IO mode to standard, but it seemed to be a little slower and couldn't
get the machine to come back online with adequate read performance, so I set it back. I'll
have to write a solid cache warming script if I'm going to try that again.

> Any other ideas for what might be causing the issue? Is there something I should monitor
or look at next time it happens?