From "Kochheiser,Todd W - TOK-DITT-1" <twkochhei...@bpa.gov>
Subject Digg 4 Preview on TWiT
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 14:53:32 GMT
On yesterday's "This Week in Tech<http://www.twit.tv/254>" (TWiT) podcast with Leo Laporte
(Wiki: http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_254), Kevin Rose of Digg<http://digg.com/> fame
was a guest.  He gave a public preview of the new Digg 4; it looks very nice and should be
released in the next month or two.   He also mentioned that Digg 4 is using Cassandra and
that it is an Apache Open Source project.  He mentioned Twitter and how the Twitter and Digg
engineers have been working closely on Cassandra related issues.  There was a passing reference
to Digg also working with Facebook engineers, but I could be wrong on that point.

On a related but separate note: While I am fairly new to Cassandra and have only been following
the mailing lists for a few months, the conversation with Kevin Rose on TWiT made me curious
if the versions of Cassandra that Digg, Twitter, and Facebook are using may end up being forks
of the Apache project or old versions.  As the Apache Cassandra project moves forward with
new features, are these large and very public installations of Cassandra going to be able
to continue contributing patches and features and/or accept patches and features from the
Apache project?  While most recent commits appear to come from Eric Evans and Jonathan Ellis,
the committers<http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Committers> list for Cassandra does
include, among many others, Facebook, Twitter, and Digg.

My apology if anyone feels this is an inappropriate post to this list.

Todd