From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject JVM Options for Production
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:01:57 GMT
Hi,

  I was updating to a newer 0.6.3 and happened to remember that I noticed
back in 0.6.2 there's this change in CHANGES.txt

 * improve default JVM GC options (CASSANDRA-1014)

Looking at that ticket, I don't actually see the options listed or a
reason for why they changed.  Also, I'm not certain which options are
now recommended for a production system versus what's in the distribution.

The distribution (well svn) for 0.6.x currently has

JVM_OPTS=" \
        -ea \
        -Xms256M \
        -Xmx1G \
        -XX:+UseParNewGC \
        -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC \
        -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled \
        -XX:SurvivorRatio=8 \
        -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=1 \
        -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError \
        -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8080 \
        -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \
        -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false"

Now I would assume that for 'production' you want to remove
   -ea
and
   -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError

as well as adjust -Xms and Xmx accordingly, but are there any others
which should be tweaked?  Is there actually a recommended production
set of values or does it very greatly from installation to installation?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>