From "Parsacala Jr, Nazario R. [Tech]" <>
Subject RE: ?
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:56:43 GMT
So what is the size limit for voltdb ..?

From: Charles Woerner / IMAP []
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: ?

Totally agree that Cassandra and voltdb fulfill different needs.  I would say mysql cluster
(ndbd) would be a more appropriate competitor.  50tb?  Yes and no - it's designed to integrate
with a system called vertica which does scale to that size, but as a stand alone system I
don't believe so.

Charles Woerner

On Jun 9, 2010, at 2:35 PM, Ned Wolpert <<>>
As far as finding its competitors go; If you need acid compliance, Cassandra isn't in the
list. If you need 50TB of data, is VoltDB in the list?
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:30 PM, Charles Woerner / IMAP <<>>
I would disagree with that assessment.  My take is that Voltdb is a high throughput, fault
tolerant transaction processing db as opposed to a caching system or key value store.  It's
easy to get hung up on the in-memory nature of it but I believe that it is both fault tolerant
through redundant copies of the data and fully acid compliant.

Charles Woerner