Hi Jonathan,
  This sounds a little bit strange, I would expect that NIO server sockets to be more scalable than regular socket, well I don't have much experience with tcp programming. What was the scenario you used? The problem I observe is that most of the requests to Cassandra are quite performant (lets say miliseconds) yet some requests (~ 0.2 % of all requests) are slow ~2-5 seconds. Profiling Cassandra showed that thrift socket read operations contributed for most of the time spent.
Best regards, Daniel.

2010/5/22 Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com>
Because when we tested it, it was slower.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra