From James <rent.lupin.r...@gmail.com>
Subject Is multiget_slice performant when you're looking for lots of keys?
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 23:16:51 GMT
Hi all,
Apologies if I'm still stuck in RDBMS mentality - first project using
Cassandra!

I'll be using Cassandra to store quite a lot (10s of millions) of records,
each of which has a type.

I'll want to query the records to get all of a certain type; it's an
analagous situation to the TaggedPosts schema from Arin's blog post (
http://arin.me/blog/wtf-is-a-supercolumn-cassandra-data-model).

The thing is, each type (or tag) row key will be pointing at millions of
records. I know I can use multiget_slice with all those record IDs as one
request, but is this The Right Way of "filtering" a large column family by
type?

Coming from an RDBMS-ingrained mindset, it seems kind of awkward...

Thanks!
James