From Arie Keren <a...@doubleverify.com>
Subject RE: Tuning Cassandra
Date Mon, 10 May 2010 08:59:18 GMT
Using TSocket without TBufferedTransport hurts performance.

See http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-user/201005.mbox/%3cD0C18662921DF14F983C53625DE8A7241E4C11F8F0@34093-MBX-C14.mex07a.mlsrvr.com%3e

From: Ran Tavory [mailto:rantav@gmail.com]
Sent: May 10, 2010 11:48 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tuning Cassandra

Hector uses tsocket. not sure what you mean by "buffered" - is that framed? Hector by default
does not use framed.

The code is here if you'd like to have a look http://github.com/rantav/hector/blob/master/src/main/java/me/prettyprint/cassandra/service/CassandraClientFactory.java#L77

However, I find it hard to believe that the actual connection is the slowing factor.

Roughly speaking, cassandra is fast on writes and slow on reads. Exact numbers are per-scenario
so it's hard to say, but if you only write and objects are small then from my experience you
should expect a few k writes per second on a single host. How much do you see?

There are many configuration factors and they all depend on expected usage and available h/w.

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM, vd <vineetdaniel@gmail.com<mailto:vineetdaniel@gmail.com>>