From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: nodetool drain disables writes?
Date Wed, 12 May 2010 14:39:16 GMT
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:18 PM, Anthony Molinaro
<> wrote:
> Hi,
>  I thought that 'nodetool drain' was supposed to flush the commit logs
> through the system, which it appears to do (verified by running ls in
> the commit log directory and seeing no files).
> However, it also appears to disable writes completely (ie, scripts attempting
> to write data were frozen, ls of commit log directory showed no files), is
> that expected behavior?

Yes.  The intent is that after the drain your commitlog is empty (e.g.
for upgrading to 0.7).  If it were to continue to accept writes that
would not be the case.

If you just want a flush, run `nodetool flush`.

Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra