From gabriele renzi <>
Subject batch mutation : how to delete whole row?
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 07:05:16 GMT
Hi everyone,

in our test code we perform a dummy "clear" by reading all the rows
and deleting them (while waiting for cassandra 0.7 & CASSANDRA-531).
A couple of days ago I updated our code to perform this operation
using batchMutate, but there seem to be no way to perform a deletion
of the whole row, only columns.

The org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Deletion object can be used with a
slice predicate but if I use an empty SlicePredicate there is the
obvious validation error of missing either a range or a list of column

Is it correct that I cannot perform a row delete via batchMutation, or
is there another way (apart from reading all the column names and
adding multiple deletions per row)?
Would it make sense to allow a Deletion object to refer to a row, or
even better a RowDeletion(key) class?

AFAICT there is no underlying technical blocker, but I may be wrong as usual :)

blog en:
blog it:

View raw message