From Philip Stanhope <pstanh...@wimba.com>
Subject Re: Continuously increasing RAM usage
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 16:39:52 GMT
I've seen numerous anecdotal references that the Sun JVM performs better.

Is there a reason why the debian packaging for Cassandra installs the OpenJDK version?
What would it take to create an alternative apt-get package that pulls Sun JVM rather than
OpenJDK?

-phil

On May 27, 2010, at 12:33 PM, Daniel Kluesing wrote:

> 0.6.0 had some gc issues, (I think https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1014)
if you see lots of gc collections in the logs, I’d give 0.6.1 a try, I found it much better.

> Anecdotally, the sun jvm performs better than openJDK, and the u19 drop fixes some jvm
bugs that can cause memory problems. Sun jvm, u19 (or higher) and Cassandra 0.6.1 fixed a
lot of memory problems I ran into.

before I turned it on, it used to swap heavily at this point.

> Cassandra version is 0.6.0 Beta1
>
> [cassandra1 ~]# java -version
> java version "1.6.0"
> OpenJDK  Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
> OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)
>
> Here is the tpstats from a node that was restarted last night:
>
> http://gist.github.com/415987
>
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@digg.com> wrote:
> On 5/26/10 11:32 PM, James Golick wrote:
> We're seeing RAM usage continually climb until eventually, cassandra becomes unresponsive.
> Given the handful of bugs related to memory bloat in specific versions of Cassandra combined
with specific versions of JVMs, that information may be relevant to your question. What version
are you running, and in what JVM environment?