From Bill de hOra <b...@dehora.net>
Subject Re: replication impact on write throughput
Date Tue, 11 May 2010 19:08:07 GMT
Mark Greene wrote:
> If you have for example, your replication factor equal to the total
> amount of nodes in the ring, I suspect you will hit a brick wall pretty
> soon.

Right :) So if we said there was 100 nodes at 5K wps with R=2, then
would that suggest the cluster can support 250K wps?

Again, I know this is a tad artificial, just trying to understand the
impact of replication on writes.

> The biggest impact on your write performance will most likely be the
> consistency level of your writes. In other words, how many nodes you
> want to wait for before you acknowledge the write back to the client.

I'd agree for any individual client; what I'm after is the overall
capacity a cluster has over time in the face of replicas. But let's
assume it's ConsistencyLevel.ONE - how would you think the available
write capacity degrades?

Bill