From Daniel Kluesing ...@bluekai.com>
Subject RE: Continuously increasing RAM usage
Date Thu, 27 May 2010 16:33:22 GMT
0.6.0 had some gc issues, (I think https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-1014) if
you see lots of gc collections in the logs, I'd give 0.6.1 a try, I found it much better.

Anecdotally, the sun jvm performs better than openJDK, and the u19 drop fixes some jvm bugs
that can cause memory problems. Sun jvm, u19 (or higher) and Cassandra 0.6.1 fixed a lot of
memory problems I ran into.

From: James Golick [mailto:jamesgolick@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:05 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Continuously increasing RAM usage

When I say unresponsive, I mean that latency becomes very high. Swap is turned off, but before
I turned it on, it used to swap heavily at this point.

Cassandra version is 0.6.0 Beta1

[cassandra1 ~]# java -version
java version "1.6.0"
OpenJDK  Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b09)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 1.6.0-b09, mixed mode)

Here is the tpstats from a node that was restarted last night:

http://gist.github.com/415987

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Robert Coli <rcoli@digg.com<mailto:rcoli@digg.com>>