From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: Cassandra data loss
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 15:51:29 GMT
This is largely FUD. Cassandra let's you choose how consistent you want writes to be. The more
consistency you choose, the slower the writes, but it's very unlikely with high consistency
that you'll lose data.

That being said, if you write with a consistency level of 0 then, yes, you could lose data.
Cassandra's consistency is much like root privileges on Unix systems; it gives you more than
enough rope to hang yourself if you so choose to.

--Joe

On May 24, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Steve Lihn wrote:

> I am evaluating Cassandra as a candidate for our next-gen database. One of my colleagues
told me that "it's not recommended to use it as your system of Record because it CAN lose
data". Can someone with architecture understanding shed some light on under what circumstance
Cassandra cluster can either lose data or become inconsistent ? (a node in a cluster crashes,
network partitions, I/O glitches, etc.)