Peter, I agree with you, but sometimes choice can be very easy, if a tool offers real advantages ...

During  several  weeks, I have thought  that choice could be : low level (thrift) or high level (pandra) as described on Cassandra Wiki..

Today, I discovered that SimpleCassie exists ... (I especially noticed that load balancing is planned). So I wonder if there is another  client, well known and supported by community.

As  said by Jonathan, SimpleCassie and Pandra are both based on Thrift.. I think a Cassandra upgrade will require an upgrade of Thrift classes of high level clients too. Am I right ?