From Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A question of 'referential integrity'...
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 23:02:24 GMT
On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Steve <sjh_cassandra@shic.co.uk> wrote:
> Should I assume that it isn't common practice to write updates
> atomically in-real time, and batch process them 'off-line' to increase
> the atomic granularity?  It seems an obvious strategy... possibly one
> for which an implementation might use "MapReduce" or something similar?
> I don't want to re-invent the wheel, of course.

I think this is indeed a common and common sense approach.

Traditionally this has actually been done by even simpler systems,
like writing log files on hosts, beaming them up to a central
location, and processing aggregates that way. But key/value stores can
be used to reduce latency that is the problematic part of simple
log-based aggregation.

-+ Tatu +-