From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: Recovery from botched compaction
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:54:51 GMT
On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Anthony Molinaro
<> wrote:
>  This is sort of a pre-emptive question as the compaction I'm doing hasn't
> failed yet but I expect it to any time now.  I have a cluster which has been
> storing user profile data for a client.  Recently I've had to go back and
> reload all the data again.  I wasn't watching diskspace, and on one of the
> nodes it went above 50% (which I recall was bad), to somewhere around 70%.
> I expect to most back with a compaction (as most of the data was the same
> so a compaction should remove old copies), and went ahead and started one
> with nodeprobe compact (using 0.5.0 on this cluster).  However, I do see
> that the disk usage is growing (it's at 91% now).

Right, it can't remove any old data, until the compacted version is written.

(This is where the 50% recommendation comes from: worst-case, the
compacted version will take up exactly as much space as it did before,
if there were no deletes or overwrites.)

> So when the disk fills up and this compaction crashes what can I do?
> I assume get a bigger disk, shut down the node, move the data and
> restart will work, but do I have other options?
> Which files can I ignore (ie, can I not move any of the *-tmp-* files)?
> Will my system be in a corrupt state?

It won't corrupt itself, and it will automatically r/m tmp files when
it starts up.

If the disk fills up entirely then the node will become unresponsive
even for reads which is something we plan to fix.

Otherwise there isn't a whole lot you can do with the "I need to put
more data on my machine than I have room for" scenario.

> This machine is one in a set of 6, and since I didn't choose tokens
> initially, they are very lopsided (ie, some use 20% of their disk, others
> 60-70%).  If I were to start moving tokens around would the machines short
> of space be able to anti-compact without filling up?  or does anti-compaction
> like compaction require 2x disk space?

Anticompaction requires as much space as the data being transferred,
so worst case of transferring 100% off would require 2x. will fix this for
the anticompaction case.

View raw message