From Heath Oderman <he...@526valley.com>
Subject New User: OSX vs. Debian on Cassandra 0.5.0 with Thrift
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 04:38:44 GMT
Hi,

I wrote a few days ago and got a few good suggestions.  I'm still seeing
dramatic differences between Cassandra 0.5.0 on OSX vs. Debian Linux.

I've tried on Debian with the Sun JRE and the Open JDK with nearly identical
results. I've tried a mix of hardware.

Attached are some graphs I've produced of my results which show that in OSX,
Cassandra takes longer with a greater load but is wicked fast (expected).

In the SunJDK or Open JDK on Debian I get amazingly consistent time taken to
do the writes, regardless of the load and the times are always ridiculously
high.  It's insanely slow.

I genuinely believe that I must be doing something very wrong in my Debian
setups, but they are all vanilla installs, both 64 bit and 32 bit machines,
64bit and 32 bit installs.  Cassandra packs taken from
http://www.apache.org/dist/cassandra/debian.

I am using Thrift, and I'm using a c# client because that's how I intend to
actually use Cassandra and it seems pretty sensible.

An example of what I'm seeing is:

5 Threads Each writing 100,000 Simple Entries
OSX: 1 min 16 seconds ~ 6515 Entries / second
Debian: 1 hour 15 seconds ~ 138 Records / second

15 Threads Each writing 100,000 Simple Entries
OSX: 2min 30 seconds seconds writing ~10,000 Entries / second
Debian: 1 hour 1.5 minutes ~406 Entries / second

20 Threads Each Writing 100,000 Simple Entries
OSX: 3min 19 seconds ~ 10,050 Entries / second
Debian: 1 hour 20 seconds ~ 492 Entries / second

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers I'd be glad to hear them.
Thanks,
Stu

Attached:
1. CassLoadTesting.ods (all my results and graphs in OpenOffice format
downloaded from Google Docs)
2. OSX Records per Second - a graph of how many entries get written per
second for 10,000 & 100,000 entries as thread count is increased in OSX.
3. Open JDK Records per Second - the same graph but of Open JDK on Debian
4. Open JDK Total Time By Thread - the total time taken from test start to
finish (all threads completed) to write 10,000 & 100,000 entries as thread
count is increased in Debian with Open JDK
5. OSX Total time by Thread - same as 4, but for OSX.