From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Re: writes to Cassandra failing occasionally
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:53:41 GMT
On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:53:48 +0100 Philip Jackson <phil@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

PJ> At Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:19:26 -0700,
PJ> Mike Gallamore wrote:
>>
>> I have writes to cassandra that are failing, or at least a read shortly
>> after a write is still getting an old value. I realize Cassandra is
>> "eventually consistent" but this system is a single CPU single node with
>> consistency level set to 1, so this seems odd to me.

PJ> I'm having this problem too (see my post the other day). I use N::C
PJ> but generate timestamps in the same way as N::C::E, I've tested that
PJ> each is smaller than the next so I'm wondering if I'm barking up the
PJ> wrong tree.

PJ> If you figure out what's going on please do post back here, I'll do
PJ> the same.

Please put together a test that runs against the default keyspace
(Keyspace1) or give me your configuration plus a test.  At the very
least, set $Net::Cassandra::Easy::DEBUG to 1 and look at the timestamps
it's generating in the Thrift requests.

By default N::C::Easy uses Moose to provide timestamps through a
double-wrapped (so it's called every time) sub:

has timestamp => ( is => 'ro', isa => 'CodeRef', default => sub { sub { join('',
gettimeofday()) } } );

This has worked for me but it certainly could be the problem.

Ted