From Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>
Subject Re: What is loadbalance supposed to do? 0.6.0RC1
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 17:33:14 GMT
On 4/7/10 7:39 AM, Mark Jones wrote:
> Also, if the data is pushed out to the other nodes before the bootstrapping, why has
data been lost?  Does this mean that decommissioning a node results in data loss?

As I understand it, in the following scenario :

1) Node A has Keys 0-10.

2) Add Node B as a bootstrapping node, Node A is loadbalanced, sheds
keys 5-10 to Node B.

Keys 5-10 are not actually removed from the SSTables on Node A until a
"cleanup compaction" is run. A "cleanup compaction" is a "major
compaction" which also checks to see whether keys still "belong" on this
host.

I don't know whether you have actually experienced data loss, but based
on the above, it should not be possible for you to have.

=Rob