From Rob Coli <rc...@digg.com>
Subject Re: Question about node failure...
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 22:20:52 GMT
On 4/5/10 2:11 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Tatu Saloranta<tsaloranta@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Perhaps it would be good to have convenience workflow for replacing
>> broken host ("squashing lemons")? I would assume that most common use
>  [ snip ]
> Does anyone have numbers on how badly "nodetool repair" sucks vs
> bootstrap + removetoken?  If it's within a reasonable factor of
> performance, then I'd say that's the easiest solution.

As I understand it, a node which is in the midst of a "repair" operation
is actually in a meaningfully different state from a node which is
bootstrapping. The "repair"ing node can serve blank (?) data in the case
where it is asked for data it should have but doesn't yet, with a
ConsistencyLevel of ONE. AFAIK, there is no way to make a bootstrapping
node return invalid responses in this way.

Any details from people who are more familiar with the particular code
path in question would of course be appreciated. :)

=Rob