From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: Deployment on AWS
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 22:04:33 GMT

On Apr 3, 2010, at 2:54 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:

> I'm pretty familiar with EC2, hence the question.  I don't believe any
> patches are required to do these things.  Regardless, as I noted in
> that ticket, you definitely do NOT need AWS credentials to determine
> your availability zone.  It is available through the metadata web
> server for each instance as 'placement_availability_zone', avoiding
> the need to speak the EC2 API or store credentials in the configs.

Good point on the metadata web server. Though I'm unsure how Cassandra would know anything
about those AZ's without using code that's aware of such things, such as the rack-aware strategy
we made.

Am I missing something further? I asked a friend on the EC2 networking team if you could determine
AZ by IP address and he said, "No."

--Joe