From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.5.1 restarts slow
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:12:49 GMT
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:24:45PM -0500, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Anthony Molinaro
> <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> > Interesting, in the config I see
> >
> >  <!-- Time to wait for a reply from other nodes before failing the command -->
> >  <RpcTimeoutInMillis>5000</RpcTimeoutInMillis>
> >
> > So I thought that timeout was for inter-node communication not the thrift
> > API, but I see how you probably consider both inter-node traffic and
> > thrift traffic as clients.  Does this RPC Timeout apply to both?
>
> rpctimeout applies to internal messages but if an operation times out
> at that level a Thrift exception will be passed to the client.

Ahh, I see, basically percolates back up the call chain.

> > Somewhat off-topic but relating to timeouts, is there any plans to tune
> > the timeouts for Gossip nodes?  EC2 network is horribly flakey, and I
> > often see node go Dead, the come back a few seconds later, so just
> > wondering if there's a way to tune the check to occur less frequently?
>
> increase failuredetector.phiConvictThreshold.

Is that a property? (ie, do I set it with -Dfailuredetector.phiConvictThreshold)
What is the unit?  Are there other super secret properties that might
be useful for tuning?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>