From Anthony Molinaro <antho...@alumni.caltech.edu>
Subject Re: Cassandra 0.5.1 restarts slow
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 18:11:53 GMT
On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:52:32PM -0500, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Anthony Molinaro
> <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu> wrote:
> >> as for why it backs up in the first place before the restart, you can
> >> either (a) throttle writes [set your timeout lower, make your clients
> >> back off temporarily when it gets a timeoutexception]
> >
> > What timeout is this?  Something in the thrift API or a cassandra
> > configuration?
>
> the latter.  iirc it is "RPCTimeout"

Interesting, in the config I see

 <!-- Time to wait for a reply from other nodes before failing the command -->
 <RpcTimeoutInMillis>5000</RpcTimeoutInMillis>

So I thought that timeout was for inter-node communication not the thrift
API, but I see how you probably consider both inter-node traffic and
thrift traffic as clients.  Does this RPC Timeout apply to both?

Somewhat off-topic but relating to timeouts, is there any plans to tune
the timeouts for Gossip nodes?  EC2 network is horribly flakey, and I
often see node go Dead, the come back a few seconds later, so just
wondering if there's a way to tune the check to occur less frequently?

-Anthony

Anthony Molinaro                           <anthonym@alumni.caltech.edu>