From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: The Difference Between Cassandra and HBase
Date Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:04:50 GMT

On Apr 25, 2010, at 11:40 AM, Mark Robson wrote:

> For me an important difference is that Cassandra is operationally much more straightforward
- there is only one type of node, and it is fully redundant (depending what consistency level
you're using).

> This seems to be an advantage in Cassandra vs most other distributed storage systems,
which almost all seem to require some "master" nodes which have different operational requirements
(e.g. cannot fail, need to be failed over manually or have another HA solution installed for
them)

These two remain the #1 and #2 reasons I recommend Cassandra over HBase. At the end of the
day, Cassandra is an *absolute* dream to manage across multiple data centers. I could go on
and on about the voodoo that is expanding, contracting, and rebalancing a Cassandra cluster.
It's pretty awesome.

That being said, we're getting ready to spin up an HBase cluster. If you're wanting increment/decrement,
more complex range scans, etc. then HBase is a great candidate. Especially if you don't need
it to span multiple data centers. We're using Cassandra for our main things, and then HBase+Hive
for analytics.

There's room for both. Especially if you're using Hadoop with Cassandra.

--Joe