From Cagatay Kavukcuoglu <caga...@kavukcuoglu.org>
Subject Re: Does anybody work about transaction on cassandra ?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:09:15 GMT
Better fault tolerance? Scalability to large data volumes? A combination of ZooKeeper based
transactions and Cassandra may have better characteristics than RDBMS on these criteria. There's
no question that trade-offs are involved, but as far as these issues are concerned, you'd
be starting from a better vantage point than a SPOF relational database.

On Apr 26, 2010, at 10:24 AM, Mark Jones wrote:

> Orthogonal in this case means “at cross purposes”  Transactions can’t really be
done with eventual consistency because all nodes don’t have all the info at the time the
transaction is done.  I think they recommend zookeeper for this kind of stuff, but I don’t
know why you want to use Cassandra vs a RDBMS if you really want transactions.

are orthogonal to the design of Cassandra[1][2], although a system could be designed incorporating
Cassandra and other elements a la Google's MegaStore[3] to support transactions.  Google uses
Paxos, one might be able to use Zookeeper[4] to design such a system, but it would be a daunting
task.