From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Insertion time question
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 02:22:47 GMT
Hard to say without busting out the profiler.  "supercolumns are
slower" is not a surprise to anyone at this point, I'm afraid.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Carlos Sanchez
<carlos.sanchez@riskmetrics.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if I could have a bit more insight as why we are seeing different insertion
times between regular column families and super columns.

> We have a group object (with its name) that may have a series of attributes (name/value).
There can be up a million group object and different groups can share several attributes.
In our first design we had a super column we have the column path as

>        ColumnPath ("Index", [attribute value], [group name]) and row key is the attribute
name. The value
>        we are inserting is an empty byte array
>
> In the second design we simply our model and
>
>        ColumnPath ("Index", null, [group name]) and the row key is simply the attribute
name concatenated      with the attribute value. The value inserted again is an empty array

> In the first case we, inserting 250K group it took about 1.5 hours and in the second
case it took 45 minutes. In both tests, we started Cassandra with no data, using OPP in two
nodes (each 16 core 64 GB)

> We are wondering why inserting when using super columns we get lower performance.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Carlos
>

> This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients
and may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original
message.