From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How reliable is cassandra?
Date Mon, 29 Mar 2010 19:45:57 GMT
On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Joe Stump <joe@joestump.net> wrote:
> I know at least three Diggers patrol the list and one of them is a committer to Cassandra.
Last I heard from my former coworkers at Digg was that ZooKeeper can be more overhead than
wanted when doing locks in a high write environment.

ZK basically does 2PC for each write, so all the ZK members need to be
in the same datacenter.  Digg is operating 2 data centers now, so
that's not a good fit -- either you have bad latency every time a
client in the 2nd DC needs to access ZK or everyone has terrible write
performance.

ZK should be fine in a single datacenter though.

-Jonathan