From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: Incr/Decr Counters in Cassandra
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:25:09 GMT
On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM, simon.reavely <> wrote:
> Is there a place on the Cassandra wiki where the proposals/thinking on these
> issues has been captured in one place?

The wiki is a terrible place for proposals.  Use the ML for those, and
use JIRA when you start to actually generate code. is where Kelvin is
working on vector clock support, which will handle eventually
consistent increments.

There is also a zookeeper module in contrib/ that you can implement
atomic increment on top of.

> p.s. I don't want to go off on a tangent, but out of interest, given the
> original Dynamo article and comments in posts like
> this:,
> what makes you think SimpleDB is not based on Dynamo?

SimpleDB is key/row; dynamo is key/value.  SimpleDB is Erlang; dynamo
is Java.  SimpleDB has a limit of 10GB/domain; there would be no need
for such a low limit if it were based on Dynamo.

View raw message