From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index values: data or pointers?
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:53:38 GMT
right.  as long as you don't have a ton of subcolumns (which is
usually the case for a denormalize like this) then you're fine.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:48 PM,  <Jeremey.Barrett@nokia.com> wrote:
> On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:17 PM, ext Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM,  <Jeremey.Barrett@nokia.com> wrote:
>>> I'm exploring data layouts and it seems like the common practice is to store
an index in one CF (e.g. userid for row key and thingid for column name) and then to fetch
all the things by their thingids separately... so get index, and then get each key in the

>>> If a thing changes relatively infrequently but gets read often, seems like it
would be more performant (especially with writes being very fast) to just stuff whole objects
into indexes rather than simply ids. A "whole object" could be a JSON object or a serialized
class or who knows what.

>> Yes.  This is one place supercolumns can be very useful, since it
>> allows doing this w/o nasty hacks like you mention. :)
>
> Good point. :)
>
> I got it in my head that supercolumns aren't indexed (from the ticket of that name http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-598),
but actually it's the subcolumns that aren't indexed, correct? (the former never made any
sense to me)