From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Index values: data or pointers?
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 22:17:31 GMT
On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:13 PM,  <Jeremey.Barrett@nokia.com> wrote:
> I'm exploring data layouts and it seems like the common practice is to store an index
in one CF (e.g. userid for row key and thingid for column name) and then to fetch all the
things by their thingids separately... so get index, and then get each key in the index.

> If a thing changes relatively infrequently but gets read often, seems like it would be
more performant (especially with writes being very fast) to just stuff whole objects into
indexes rather than simply ids. A "whole object" could be a JSON object or a serialized class
or who knows what.

Yes.  This is one place supercolumns can be very useful, since it
allows doing this w/o nasty hacks like you mention. :)

-Jonathan