From Toby DiPasquale <>
Subject Re: serialized vector clock as global counter?
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:57:31 GMT
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 7:47 PM, David Strauss <> wrote:
> On 2010-03-14 16:46, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
>> My question would be: assuming we're using both quorum reads and
>> writes, is it possible that clients A and B could race in the
>> following manner:
>> * A updates its counter
>> * B updates its counter
>> * A reads the keys to get sum X
>> * B reads the keys to get the same sum X
>> ...thus violating the ever-increasing constraint?
> Yes. You'd need a cluster-wide lock to solve that problem, but then you
> may as well use that same cluster-wide locking mechanism to maintain the
> count.
> You'll get more interesting responses from this list if you share the
> original problem you're trying to solve instead of asking us how to
> implement a component of your chosen solution.

I'm actually just trying to build a little URL shortener to use as a
demo for an upcoming presentation I'm doing on Cassandra. The counter
is to be used as the short key for a new URL submitted to the system:
increment the counter and then use the Base-62 encoding of that
counter value as the key for that new URL. That's why I'm able to skip
some values, but can't have any two clients reading the same value.

Toby DiPasquale

View raw message