From Muhammed Nasrullah <>
Subject Re: Auto Increament
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 01:37:18 GMT
You replace it with an UUID. In a true scalable distributed system, you
should not have an auto_increment. If you are writing to 10
nodes simultaneously, it becomes near impossible to keep a single
incrementing value being used by the entire system without causing a lot of
write contention.

This is how you generate a Time-UUID in Java:

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:57 PM, Jaepil Jeong <> wrote:

> Hi there,
> I just started research about Cassandra to replace MySQL, and I have a
> question: How can I replace the "auto increament" attribute in MySQL
> with Cassandra? If I can't, how can I generate an ID which is globally
> unique for each of columns?
> Thanks,
> Sent from my iPhone

View raw message