From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: Startup issue when big data in.
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 15:27:21 GMT

On Mar 20, 2010, at 3:33 AM, Lenin Gali wrote:

> 1.what kind of performance are you getting, how many writes vs reads do you do per min?

Our performance is quite good. Here are some HDD benchmarks I've ran:
http://stu.mp/2009/12/disk-io-and-throughput-benchmarks-on-amazons-ec2.html

> 2. have you used EBS or local disks and

We use RAID0 ephemeral drives on large instances. XFS for a filesystem.

> 3. what would you recommend from your experience to those who would like to try out cassandra
on EC2?

We have a rack aware strategy specifically for EC2 that we're working with jbellis to get
committed. It basically ensures your keys are equally spread across each AZ. So my recommendation
is to use ephemeral drives, spread your machines across AZ's, and keep your reads in a given
AZ.

> 4. Some one suggested to use Zookeeper for adding locks on top Cassandra? what are pros
and cons of doing that?

Locks suck. Avoid them.

--Joe