From Chris Goffinet <goffi...@digg.com>
Subject Re: data corruption experiences
Date Sat, 20 Mar 2010 18:16:25 GMT
We saw corruption pre 0.4 days. Digg hasn't seen corruption since that got taken care of. We
are only doing this for the "just in case the shit hits the fan". Cassandra is rapidly changing
and it would be completely careless of us to forgo a path of using a new database as our primary
datastore. Our operations team has learned with years of experience you never want to be in
that situation, especially with a new datastore.

Single node cluster? Why Cassandra if you're plans are to just use 1 node? In that case, a
simple RAID solution would work fine.

-Chris

On Mar 20, 2010, at 11:09 AM, Alex Durgin wrote:

> Recent messages to the list regarding durabilty and backup strategies leads me to a few
questions that other new users may also have.

> What's the general experience with corruption to date?
>
> Is it common?
>
> Would I regret operating a single node cluster?
>
> Digg referenced sending snapshots to hdfs. Is keeping snapshots local to each node in
a cluster deployment with replicas a bad idea?