From Ted Zlatanov <...@lifelogs.com>
Subject Re: finding Cassandra servers
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:34:09 GMT

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:20:07 -0600 Brandon Williams <driftx@gmail.com> wrote:

BW> 2010/3/3 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
>> My concern is that both RRDNS and seed node lists are vulnerable to
>> individual node failure.

BW> They're not.  That's why they're lists.  If one doesn't work out, move along
BW> to the next.

>> Updating DNS when a node dies means you have
>> to wait until the TTL expires, and if you lower the TTL too much your
>> server will get killed.

BW> Don't do that.  Make your clients keep trying.  Any failure is likely to be
BW> transient anyway, so running around messing with DNS every time a machine is
BW> offline doesn't make much sense.

Thanks for the advice.  I am probably being paranoid about the
connection timeout; we're using Puppet as well so I'll just use it to
generate the seeds portion of the config file *and* a plain list of seed
nodes that each client can retrieve (so they don't have to parse the
XML).

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:22:45 -0600 Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:

JE> We appear to be reaching consensus that this is solving a non-problem,
JE> so I have closed that ticket.

Sure.  Thanks for everyone's opinion, I really appreciate it.

Ted