From Cool BSD <c...@coolbsd.com>
Subject What's the ideal size of a column?
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 05:57:39 GMT
Be short - what's the ideal column size in real world?

Long description - I'm working on a prototype, the application is a data
store that holding blobs sizing from couple of KB to hundreds of MB, close
to 1GB in the worst case. The data model is really simple - key is a string
(UUID-like thing), and value is the blob, the only operations are "set",
"get", and "delete".

The reason I pick up Cassandra is the feature of high availability and
dynamic growth, also high write throughput is a great advantage since
read/write ratio is about 1:100. Another idea is using a simple key-value
store to keep UUID to location mapping, and store blob data as file in a NFS
server, but managing growth is not that straightforward.

If the blob size is too big to fit into Cassandra, what's the ideal size?
And if this is the case, I will try to cut it into slices but still keep
everything in Cassandra, is this better than NFS solution?

Thanks,

CB

P.S. The real reason I want to try Cassandra is that I want to play with
something new