From David Strauss <da...@fourkitchens.com>
Subject Re: Poor performance; PHP & Thrift to blame
Date Tue, 30 Mar 2010 06:58:21 GMT
On 2010-03-30 05:42, Julian Simon wrote:
> More surprisingly, if I compile and enable the PHP native thrift
> bindings (following this guide
> https://wiki.fourkitchens.com/display/PF/Using+Cassandra+with+PHP)
> read performance actually degrades by another 50%.  I have verified
> that the Thrift code is recognizing and using the native PHP functions
> provided by the library.

I'm the author of that guide. If offloading to the C-based extension
does not speed things up, something is wrong. As noted in the guide, it
had a massive effect on the performance I got. However, I was testing
with many threads making many small requests (under 10 columns each).

--
David Strauss
   | david@fourkitchens.com
Four Kitchens