From Ethan Rowe <et...@endpoint.com>
Subject Re: Separate disks with cloud deployment
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:18:03 GMT
On 03/25/2010 11:10 AM, Mark Greene wrote:
> The FAQ page makes mention of using separate disks for the commit log
> and data directory. How would one go about achieving this in a cloud
> deployment such as Rackspace cloud servers or EC2 EBS? Or is it
> just preferred to use dedicated hardware to get the optimal performance?

With EC2, you can mount more than one EBS device on a given server, so
it's not a big deal.  Mount one volume for logs, another volume for data.

Additionally, we've found some benefit from running (for Postgres) RAID0
arrays on EBS; you get better I/O throughput.

I'll defer to the Rackspace folks regarding Rackspace Cloud; it has been
I/O on average since you're dealing with a real, local disk.  But I
don't know about getting a second disk in that environment, though.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation