From "B. Todd Burruss" <bburr...@real.com>
Subject Re: cassandra not responding
Date Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:57:45 GMT
i am just reading/writing 4k+/-1k of data to a single column in a single
column family.  i do some writes of fresh data and some read/write of
existing data.  i will end up in the 100 million row range, maintaining
about a 2 million row of "hot data".  so i have small rows, but _lots_
of them.

so you are using row cache?  what setting?

what i find is that the OS cache is plenty good enough.  i have 48gb RAM
per node and try to give the OS as much as possible by setting "-Xms1G
-Xmx44G".  the Xmx is large because of what i'd seen with cassandra
needing a lot of memory sometimes.  and in fact, you don't want to use
too much JVM memory as GC will start to eat up your CPU time and cause
bottlenecks.

what i don't like is it appears that once the JVM "commits" RAM to its
process it never releases it.  at least i haven't seen it release.