From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: Digg's data model
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:23:10 GMT

On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:16 PM, Gary wrote:

> I am a newbie to bigtable like model and have a question as follows. Take Digg as an
example, I want to find a list users who dug a URL and also want to find a list of URLs a
user dug. How should the data model look like for the queries to be efficient? If I use the
username and the URL for two rows, when a user digs a URL, I will have to update two rows
so I need a transaction to keep data consistent.

I'll let my former colleagues at Digg chime in here, but I will say you should probably start
wrapping your brain around two things that fly quickly out the window with distributed/eventually
consisten systems like Cassandra:

1. Normalization
2. Transactions

:)