From Carlos Sanchez <carlos.sanc...@riskmetrics.com>
Subject Re: updates on hector, a java cassandra client
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:16:43 GMT
I am afraid no suggesting about dealing w/ it. My only suggestion would be to change the name
space (me.prettyprint) to something more presentative of what the library is for

On Mar 23, 2010, at 6:05 AM, Ran Tavory wrote:

I wanted to, but I hit a wall: There are libraries I use (such as cassandra and thrift) that
aren't in a public repository. Any suggestion of to deal with it?

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM, Carlos Sanchez <carlos.sanchez@riskmetrics.com<mailto:carlos.sanchez@riskmetrics.com>>
wrote:
Ran,

Are you planning to submit hector to a maven repository?

Carlos
From: Ran Tavory [rantav@gmail.com<mailto:rantav@gmail.com>]
Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:36 AM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org<mailto:user@cassandra.apache.org>
Subject: Re: updates on hector, a java cassandra client

Download ready jars with all required libs are available at http://github.com/rantav/hector/downloads

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Ned Wolpert <ned.wolpert@imemories.com<mailto:ned.wolpert@imemories.com><mailto:ned.wolpert@imemories.com<mailto:ned.wolpert@imemories.com>>>
wrote:
Ran-

 Are you going to make builds (jars) of Hector for each supported version of Cassandra? Or
leave it in source for the time being?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Ran Tavory <rantav@gmail.com<mailto:rantav@gmail.com><mailto:rantav@gmail.com<mailto:rantav@gmail.com>>>
wrote:
Hector is a java client for cassandra, see http://github.com/rantav/hector , http://prettyprint.me/2010/02/23/hector-a-java-cassandra-client/
, http://prettyprint.me/2010/03/03/load-balancing-and-improved-failover-in-hector/

Over the past few weeks several contributors and myself added features and since I get asked
about it a few times a day I thought I might post a public update.

Versions:
With the help of few folks (thanks Arin and other folks) hector now supports cassandra 0.5.0,
0.5.1 and 0.6.0-beta. See http://wiki.github.com/rantav/he0.5.1-8 sourcesctor/versions<http://wiki.github.com/rantav/hector/versions>

JMX improvements:
I added a number of jmx counters such as: read/sec or writes/sec, max read time in the last
10 seconds, mean write time in the last 10 seconds, stddev and others. More here http://wiki.github.com/rantav/hector/jmx

Small bugs fixed. Nothing really serious so far, but a few small glitches, see http://github.com/rantav/hector/issues/closed

C# clone:
Kris and Matt have created a C# clone at http://github.com/mattvv/hectorsharp. Thanks a lot
guys! I'm told this is almost ready.

Spring and JNDI:
This is actually in the works (thanks Nathan and Peter, and sorry for slow response...) but
we'll soon have better support for Spring and JNDI

Wiki updates:
I've added a few sections to the wiki http://wiki.github.com/rantav/hector/
My rule of thumb is if I get asked something more than once it deserves a page. However, I
have a backlog... so not all pages are done and I'd appreciate help - if you have questions
or you're willing to contribute to the wiki feel free to step in.

Contributions are welcome. github is developer friendly, just fork me. If you plan a longer
term involvement I'll be happy to get more committers in.

--
Virtually, Ned Wolpert

"Settle thy studies, Faustus, and begin..."   --Marlowe

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipients and
may contain proprietary and/or confidential information which may be privileged or otherwise
protected from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy
the original message and any copies of the message as well as any attachments to the original
message.