From Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org>
Subject Re: cassandra 0.6.0 beta 2 download contains beta 1?
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:21:13 GMT
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Eric Evans <eevans@rackspace.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is a new feature^H^H^H^H^Hcontroversy in that most of the
> third-party jars are no longer distributed by us, and must be fetched
> using `ant ivy-retrieve'.
>
> This is currently being disputed, see
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-850 for more on that.
>
> For what it's worth, this was documented in both the changelog
> (CHANGES.txt) and the release notes (NEWS.txt), which you really should
> be reading.

As a newcomer, I started by reading the wiki and following examples.
The quick-start guide failed, so I just backed out of the beta to the
released version.  The wiki recommends using the beta release to
protect against on-disk format changes that may happen.

Is it really good to make ant necessary to use the binary
distribution?  Might as well just stop distributing the binary if you
need a developer environment to use it anyway.

But now I know what to do to use beta2 so perhaps I'll try again with
that.  Thanks for the info.