From Jeremy Dunck <jdu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ring management and load balance
Date Thu, 25 Mar 2010 18:52:04 GMT
On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:26 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pretty much everything assumes that there is a 1:1 correspondence
> between IP and Token.  It's probably in the ballpark of "one month to
> code, two to get the bugs out."  Gossip is one of the trickier parts
> of our code base, and this would be all over that.  The actual storage
> system changes would be simpler I think.

What if adding a node shifted down-ring tokens less and less?  If
adding node N+1, it shifts the first N/2^x, the second N/2^2x, the
third N/2^3x, etc, so that a fixed number of nodes are shifted, but
the bump is smoothed out?  Tokens stay 1:1.

I'm talking out of my league here -- haven't actually run a cluster
yet -- so probably a dumb idea.  :-)