From "Stu Hood" <stu.h...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: Startup issue when big data in.
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 18:25:34 GMT
All write patterns should provide the same performance with Cassandra, since all writes to
disk occur sequentially. The only variance might be in the data structure used for the Memtable
(a concurrent skip list), but I expect that it is quite stable.

See http://www.mikeperham.com/2010/03/13/cassandra-internals-writing/

Thanks,
Stu

-----Original Message-----
From: "Tatu Saloranta" <tsaloranta@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2010 1:17pm
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Startup issue when big data in.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Tatu Saloranta <tsaloranta@gmail.com> wrote:
>> One sort of related question: given that order of insertions has huge
>> effects on some stores, like BDB (where inserting in key order is 10x
>> faster than arbitrary order), would insertion order possibly have
>> significant effect on Cassandra as well if using such stores?
>
> I'm not really interested in pluggable storage systems, so I don't know. :)

... ?

Maybe I should rephrase my question: is it known that certain pattern
of puts can be significantly faster than others, for same data set? I
did not mean to imply anything regarding work-arounds or such, just
that there may be features underlying storage has that would affect
higher-level performance.

-+ Tatu +-